Saturday 18 March 2017

Learning curve

So part of learning to be an artist is copying the Masters to see their process and learn more.  I did a copy of 'The Girl with a Pearl Earring' by Vermeer a few years back in one of my classes.  It was a great way to figure out all the layers and colours and process that Vermeer may have used.
My pale imitation of the original




I am still struggling to find a style that will work for me, but I find I am drawn to impressionist style paintings done in bright colours (landscapes, people or still life). Artists like Mary Cassat, Sorrolla, Monet, Cezanne or Van Gogh.
Present day artists that are favourites include Mike SvobKarin JurickKari DukeSteve Coffey, Robert genn and most recently added Angus Wilson.  I have taken workshops with Mike Svob and unfortunately missed my one chance at a workshop with Robert Genn who has since passed away.  I attempted a painting similar to one by Steve Coffey (past post).  Below is my attempt to pull off an Angus Wilson painting.  I found one of the most pleasing parts of the painting are the slightly skewed lines coming in and interrupting the painting.  It seems to make the whole picture.  I feel motivated to try something like that in my own style of landscape or portrait to see how that works.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.